The Cool Water Historic Foundation, Inc.
Duplin County, North Carolina
Cool Water Historic Foundation, Inc. is a non-profit Florida
corporation recognized as a tax-exempt private foundation under
section 501 (c)(3). Contributions to the Foundation are deductible
under section 170 of the Code and the Foundation is also qualified
to receive tax deductible bequests, devises, transfers or gifts
under section 2055, 2106 or 2522 of the Code.
NEWS FLASH: On Aprii 15, 2015, The Carter-Simmons House was added to the National Register of Historic Places. This is an important milestone in helping to raise funds and obtain grants to support the restoration, upkeep and protection of this historically significant structure.
founding purpose of The Cool Water Historic Foundation, Inc. is to
conduct a meticulous colonial restoration of the Solomon Carter
House in Duplin County, North Carolina. The house was built by
Solomon Carter (1725-1809), who fought in the Revolutionary War for
the North Carolina Militia. In 1850, the house was purchased by Amos Simmons whose descendants lived there until 1965. The historic value of the house lends
itself to archaeological studies and historical research.
With the goal of creating a site of state and national historic
significance and local pride, the Solomon Carter House and an acre
of land on which it stands were purchased by a direct descendant of
Solomon Carter, Cynthia Carter Hite Content. The Foundation will seek funding for the restoration
and upkeep of the House through grants, endowments and donations to support
endeavors for the benefit of future generations. At the project’s
completion, the House and surrounding property will be made
available as a local historic landmark for visits and functions by
the general public, schools and civic groups. The Cool Water
Foundation and its members look forward to working in close
cooperation with historic societies and local communities.
The Carter House was built three stories high with upstairs and
downstairs porches that faced the expansive farmland to the north.
The roof was lowered in 1853 by one of the subsequent owners. We
hope that some of the many Carter descendants will be amongst the
first to join us in supporting the restoration of this marvelous
example of early American architecture to its former glory.
Carter House Photo